Friday, December 2, 2011

Fröhliche Weihnachten!

We've been on the look out for an advent calendar we really like. The supermarkets are chock(late) full of disposable calendars with cute little doors that open to tiny, adorable chocolates... but to be honest- they're not my thing. I'm not a huge chocolate fan (I know, horror of horrors) and I don't really get excited trying to pry open those impossible paper doors to find a chocolate candy cane. We usually do it for 2 days and then remember it on Christmas eve and gorge on chocolate (I said chocolate is not my favorite, not that I wouldn't eat it if it's right there).

Even if we did want one- they're probably all gone. Those crazy Germans & their need for seasonality and function. When we were first in Berlin & feeling broke we came up with the clever idea to wait till Dec 1st to buy our advent calendar. Not such a bad idea when you them marked up to 20 euros! However, we hadn't thought out the German angle. We walked in to our local Lidl to find....nothing. Not a one. Apparently it was past their time and they were all chucked. That must have been some sad trash can - stuffed full of happy families, silver bells, and softly snowing scenes.


BUT I did have a great idea for an advent calendar for our beloved, if far-away P's. Each day in December, we are going to send them a Christmas shot of us, preferably with a little chocolate Santa we got to keep us company until the 25th (shhhh! Don't tell him what is going to happen then). I will send them the photos by e-mail, with a round-up on the blog each Friday. So enjoy, and 

Fröhliche Weihnachten!

December 1st


Memories! Last Christmas in Berlin


SchlossCharlottenburg Weihnachtsmarkt Christmas Day
Rescuing a Tree from an abandoned lot Christmas Day

 

December 2nd


December on the balcony

Till next Friday....

UPDATE:
week 2
week 3
week 4

5 comments:

~ cheryl said...

Enjoying being the recipient of your advent photogs - and looking forward to 23 more days of them!

Kelly said...

Always love pics of my kids.Look forward to next weeks! Mom P.

Unknown said...

Awesome that you left a comment momma! Love hearing from you on here. -Ian

Love the mum love!
-ebe

Jan said...

Good idea! I waited to buy an Adventskalender that I liked, too. By the time Dec. 1 came around, well, there were a few left, but they were slim pickin's.

erin said...

My mom picked up a really nice advent calendar in Denmark when we lived there (as kids). I remember growing up with it, fun! Maybe if you don't make one, you can hop across the corder and find one... :)

We're Back in Berlin Ja!

We're Back in Berlin Ja!
ebe & ian at Yak-toberfest 2008